A couple of months ago we published the first installment of 10 Style Tips Every Man Should Know. Well, there’s a lot more to know about style than just 10 tips, so today we have 10 more for you.
You’re a grown-up now. Here’s what you need to know:
- Do not let your suit get wet. These days even expensive designer suits use cheaper fused linings to give the jacket structure. When your suit gets wet, the jacket will pucker and become misshapen. No amount of pressing or dry cleaning can help this situation, so better to be on the safe side and use an umbrella if there’s a chance of rain.
- A man’s cuff links should match his watch. Gold with gold, silver with steel, etc.
- Your shirt collar should complement your face. If you have a round face, opt for a point collar. Men with narrow faces should go for a spread collar.
- The end of your tie should just touch the waistband of your pants. Of course, your waistband should properly be on or just above your hipbone.
- Choose gray undershirts. Unlike white undershirts, which can show through light colored dress shirts, a light gray undershirt absorbs light and creates a more polished look. If you’re going to wear an open necked shirt, then go with a V-neck undershirt.
- When buying jeans, always say no to black denim, stretch denim, and God forbid, rhinestones.
- Socks should match your pants, not your shoes.
- Buy shoes after 2 pm. By the afternoon your feet will have swollen to their maximum size – no more shoes that are too tight the next day.
- Listen to Oscar Wilde: “A well tied tie is the first serious step in life.” Make sure your tie has one pucker under the knot, the the sides don’t curl outward, and that the knot is tight against your neck.
- Always take your sunglasses off when speaking to someone who’s not wearing any. It’s just plain polite.